Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Basil-Thai Nudle Bar @ Bangsar Village

Friday nite out @ Bangsar.
The view from our window seat.


I allowed my stomach to rest for a few days after loading it with spicy curry and rendang during CNY. Till last Friday, I had a hankering for spicy food again so we dropped by Bangsar and look for the hottie (chilli of course).

Basil-Thai Nudle Bar is owned by SEA Cuisine Group of Restaurants. Interesting enough, SEA Cuisine owns over 9 thai restaurants in Malaysia but each restaurant has different name, menu and pricing. Here are some of the thai restaurants: Amarin Heavenly Thai @ Mid Valley, Siam Square @ Berjaya Time Square, Bangkok Jazz & To dine for @ Chulan Square and Bangkok Jam @ Plaza Low Yat.

So far I have visited Amarin and the food was quite good, so I decided to drop by Basil for my bowl of tomyam.

Thai Fish Cakes (RM7.90) as starter, tasted OK, luv the garlic + lime chilli sauce.

Waaa...my Fire Hotpot Seafood Tomyam Soup (RM18.90), came with burning flame and drooling spicy soup, loaded with squids, prawns, mushrooms and fish fillets.



My long lost fren from Singapore--Black Olive Fried Rice (RM12.90). I got hooked with this luscious rice when I took the first bite in a thai restaurant @ Singapore. Hmm...but our comment on this plate of 'oily and not so tasty black olive fried rice' is-- 'not worth the price'. Should have ordered white rice (Rm2.50 per pax *unlimited supply*) to go with my flamming tomyam.

I ordered Kailan with salted fish (RM9.90) and guess what we got on our dining table? Message to Mr. Cook from Basil who can't identify green veges: this is 'choi dam', not kailan la.

To sum up, the food is OK, affordable and the ambience is good. We were seated at a secluded corner--the perfect seat for food bloggers to snap pics of the food without attracting unwanted attention from other patrons ^_^

LOCATION: G-10, Ground Floor, Bangsar Village, Jalan Telawi Satu, Bangsar Baru.
TEL: 03-22878708

19 comments:

sc said...

although i went pass Basil numerous times, never had the urge to try the food there.. since now u said the food is ok only, dont think i'll try it at all! ;p

Tummythoz said...

Last time I used to make sure my table & seat is distanced from washbasins, kitchen entrances/exits, stairs and such. Ever since I started taking pix of food, the position of lighting and views of other patrons became major considerations too! My eating conmpanions sometimes complain I'm becoming more & more 'mafan'! =P

wmw said...

Ambience looks good! Haven't tasted the food here though.

Xiu Long Bao said...

sc: oh no, basil lost a potential customer bcus of me ;p

tummythoz: haha...For me, ever since dat I started food blogging, the rule of eating out wiv me is-- never start eating until I hav taken pics of the food!

wmw: yup, the ambience is good! I enjoyed my dinner though the food is not superb (but not bad actually).

Kok said...

Hello,
Hop by from WMW's blog. The tom yum soup seems yummy to me!

Xiu Long Bao said...

kok: thanks for dropping by...miss all the msian food? hehe

Kok said...

Definitely YES! I haven't had more than 2 proper meal ever since I came back to Perth here. *sigh* Toasts for dinner can you imagine....??

Xiu Long Bao said...

kok: Of cus i noe! When i studied in australia, reading msian food blogs is sooooo torturing :I

Kok said...

Alamak, I'm craving for proper meal now. Oh yeah, which part of Australia were you in? Melbourne is my guess.

boo_licious said...

Yeah, the whole chain's food is pretty ok, not spectacular stuff but just good enough for you to eat when you're at the mall.

Xiu Long Bao said...

kok: haha, its a small town near melbourne.I had limited access to asian food cus there is only one small asian food store. I hate eating @ those Asian restaurants cus the food is always loaded with MSG. I went to Perth couple of years ago, and I luv the place!

Xiu Long Bao said...

boo_licious: yup, the funny thing is that every thai restaurants hav different menu n pricing.

Kok said...

Small town? Which uni leh? Perth here, you can have different kind of Asian food. Just go to Northbridge (Chinatown here) and there you go, eating non stop. Of course, must have dollars in your pocket lah. haha! I, too, dislike food loaded with MSG. Taste so fake!

Xiu Long Bao said...

kok: aiyo, cannot disclose my uni name cus i once blogged bout my hostel's food which was really lousy, hehe...There is no chinatown in that town, only a few asian restaurants, all the food sucks. The price is OK la if u dun convert back to msian ringgit, around $8 to $12 for a bowl of noodles or a plate of fried rice laden with MSG of course.

Anonymous said...

LoL! The food here is actually ok lah... SC should go n try it. Despite my flu & sore throat which numb my tastebuds, i enjoyed the food! Tom yam soup was the best! But a bit pricey IMHO.

Anyways, i get the feeling that all restaurants under this SEA Cuisine Group is quite good! So far we've visited Amarin and i giv it 4 out of 5 thumbs up for food & service quality

For Basil, i think i settle for a 3 out of 5.

Amarin is still the best... but that is subject to change once we've tried out the other branches! :P

Kok said...

haha! GOOD things must let people know. BAD things must also let people know ma. hahaha! No wonder you like Perth. At least they have some better food to eat. $12 quite expensive leh. here, average food range about $8-$10 only. And guess what? We here can get a packet of chicken rice for only $3.80. I shall blog about that chicken rice. :P

Xiu Long Bao said...

CSB: 3 out of 5? quite reasonable :)Amarin should also settle for 3 given the kiam siap portion!

kok: $3.80 for a plate of rice? u should blog it!

Kok said...

I'll take more photos before I'm making a post on that. And guess what, the owner is a Malaysian!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.