Thursday, February 22, 2007

Viet Passion @ Chulan Square

It was so enjoyable to drive around KL, esp Bukit Bintang area during Chinese New Year. The traffic was smooth like hor fun cus most of the KL ppl were back in their home town, yippee!
On the second day of CNY, we explored every corner of KL to hunt for good food. I had loads of Chinese food during family feasts so I need to have something foreign and lite to balance my yin n' yang.

Finally, we dropped by Chulan Square and walked thru the long building...Eden? too meaty. Bangkok Jazz? I'm done with spicy food in the afternoon. Rakuzen? it was not opened la. Chinese restaurant? I told you I had too much of 'em. Western grill? I'm getting heaty. With only one choice left, we settled for Vietnamese food @ Viet Passion.

What makes Viet Passion different from other vietnamese restaurants is its really extensive menu. I didn't manage to go thru the whole menu cus I have been flipping the menu for quite some time and it seems like never ending.

So I took this fresh prawn rolls (RM8) which is depicted on the 1st page of the menu. Char Siew Bao thought that these are the best prawn rolls ever but I find the odd tasting mint leaves and chives in the rolls rather unpleasant!

Next up is this delicious Vietnamese Crepe (RM18). It came with loads of beans sprouts and roasted chicken/ pork stuffed in a giant crunchy crepe. Now this is my best crepe ever.

I recalled that boo_licious recommended Viet Dry Noodles when I did my post on Bongsen. So this time round I ordered Dry noodles with Chilli and Lemongrass Chicken(RM 16). The chicken chunks tasted great but I wondered why the veges served by Vietnamese restaurants are always raw and uncooked. I thought this dish would taste perfect with cooked bean sprouts.

By the way, tekko from eatinout recommended rice with starfruits from Vietnamese Kitchen. Sounds interesting ^_^ would love to try this 'out of the ordinary' combination!

Location: Lot B6, Chulan Square, Jalan Raja Chulan.

Tel: 03-21413838

11 comments:

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Ooh! The prawn rolls look so fresh and yummy! Must try this place someday.

Xiu Long Bao said...

lyrical lemongrass: yummy only if u like chives n mint leaves. I still prefer Izzi's viet spring rolls.

Anonymous said...

I only want to say that service here is goood! All waiters/waitress are foreigners (vietnamese i think) and yet they are attentive and speak english with a heavy accent... So much More better than Sri Ayuthaya... the thai restaurant @ Damansara... the waiters were numbskulls...

Xiu Long Bao said...

csb: sri ayuthaya? nvr go bck again!

wmw said...

Hmmm....onwards to Chulan Square! :o)

Xiu Long Bao said...

jackson: Im ok wiv raw veges like cabbage n lettuce but raw taugeh juz taste sooo weird.

wmw: haha...hope viet passion doesn't disappoint u. Eden n Bangkok jazz @ chulan sqaure r on my 'yet-to-try' list.

boo_licious said...

Prawn rolls do look good. If you don't like raw vegs, beware of their food as most of it does contain a lot of raw items.

Xiu Long Bao said...

boo_licious: Exactly, i just can't stand the odd smelling raw taugeh.

Tummythoz said...

Thx for d review. So far have not ventured in as it looks empty whenever v pass by. So far, only been to Rakuzen

Xiu Long Bao said...

tummythoz: haha, it was quite empty too on my last visit to viet passion n' i tot it was bcus of CNY where everyone was bck in hometown.

Anonymous said...

Obviously you don't know anything about Vietnamese foods. Learn to be adventurous in food. You can't be a critique if you don't have the background. Therefore girl, do research on the net or talk to who knows what Vietnamese food is...they don't usually cook their veggies and they eat alot of raw chives, mint leafs, beansprouts... Having been ruled by the French for hundreds of years their fusion of foods has alot of French influence. Get your facts right!!!!