Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Chicken Mushroom Glutinous Rice

Yummy glutinous rice with chicken chunks, mushrooms and chestnuts, the creation of a malaysian idle.

I am a pure rice bucket. I enjoy eating rice and sticky type glutinous rice dishes like lo mai kai, hor yip fan ( lotus leaf rice), dumplings and thai mango sticky rice.

But one thing that I hate about these sticky rice is that they are cooked with lots of fat. Yux! So why not make some home-cooked glutinous rice, I thought. I flipped through mum's recipe books, shopped for the ingredients and taa daa...i cooked a big bowl of lo mai kai.

So here is the recipe:

Get 500g of glutinous rice. Apparently, I couldn't get it from big hypermarts like Tesco and Giant O_0 But I'm sure you can find it in those old-fashioned kedai runcits. Soak the glutinous rice in water for at least 3 hours.


Some chinese mushrooms. Soak them in the water overnite.

Cut the fuss, buy packaged chestnuts from pasar malam. Costs about RM10 for 3 packages.

Ohh...and before I forget, get 400-500g of chicken breasts or chicken fillets for the carnivours.

For the sauce, mix 4 tablespoons of oyster sauce with 2 tablespoons of thick/ light soya sauce.


1) Pour oil in heated pan.
2) Stir fy the chicken chunks, diced mushrooms and chestnuts.
3) Drain the glutinous rice and dump it into the wok.
4) Stir fry for a while.
5) Add in the sauce.
6) Stir fry again.
7) Chuck all of 'em into the rice cooker. Add in water.
8) And wait till it is well cooked!


Easy peasy? Hope you will like it. Bon appetit!


9 comments:

wmw said...

Wah, you cook too! The Glutinous Rice looks good.

sc said...

its looks yummy..and with chestnuts, which i absolutely adore, am sure it tastes fantabulous!

me_exist87 said...

wah since when u become a cook ar?? haha

backStreetGluttons said...

dats amazingly quick ! rice bucket ? but arent u too slim ?

Xiu Long Bao said...

wmw: thanks!i really enjoy cooking.

sc: haha...i luv to load my rice dishes with exotic ingredients. Fantabulous? ok...to be humble...at least it is edible!

me_exist87: *ahem* excuse me...i can cook one la! its just dat i'm forced by my dad to choose fully catered accommodation cus he takut i'll pengsan from starving myself.

teambsg: ohh...dats my secret of keeping slim...haha...i'm a typical chinese...i luv rice!!!!

Anonymous said...

Simple and yet so beautiful! Simply delicious!
Lovely!
Fabulous!
Wonderful!
Tantalising!
Good job!





So when can i eat again ah?

Xiu Long Bao said...

CSB: dun eat too much, or u'll bcom the shape of CSB :o

jackson: lap chiong, yun chiong oso no problem...加料另计...haha

Babe_KL said...

wow rice cooker style! its simpler yeah. i hvnt got time to make my second round. anyway, gong xi fa cai to you.

Xiu Long Bao said...

babe_kl: happy new year to u too! Cooking is fun n' easy wiv rice cooker n' microwave nowadays...hehe ^_^